Saturday, July 23, 2011

inspired and ready to roll!

Well, I have the entire evening to myself.  My husband is off playing a poker game (another one of his expensive hobbies) so this leaves me half watching 'ghost adventures', listening to my daughter scream happy little yells at all of her toys, and researching diy projects online.  I haven't really found anything that is really lighting a spark under me to rummage through my craft closet and start crafting like a mad woman.  But I did make another little gift for a lady that my husband works with, so I thought I would share that with you. 



On a lighter note, I may use this paper quill inspiration that has come over me recently to live up to the former goal I promised to uphold.  (just as a reminder, i promised i would DO all of the projects that i talk about on here and to start with i've been really researching for something harry potter inspired)  And because paper quilling looks so elegant i could use this as home decor, and really display it.  This is the reason why it has taken me so long to find a harry potter project.  I didn't want anything tacky... i really needed something i could display in my home, and i didn't want it to be out of place as well. 

My idea, is to create a paper quill stag, this would be in the honor of Harry Potter's patronus!  and because i like the rustic look in my home, it would be beautiful in my entryway along with my fabric framed moose.

See... the Stag would be an amazing add!  Now i just need to get started on it.

also, in case any of you are curious about my moose, here's how i made it.

What you will need:
two contrasting colors of fabric (i just recycled old tshirts)
sketch out any old shape you like for a template
(i love moose... and i don't mean to brag but i'm good at drawing things up)
a large picture frame
(my frame was on sale at micheals... it was a $50 frame, i paid $11!)
(my frame was also gold so i repainted it orange... a brave color)
hot glue gun and sticks

Directions:
Step 1:  draw out your desired shape and cut the paper out.
Step 2:  trace the shape onto the fabric that you want to be your shape
Step 3:  cut the fabric along your traced lines
Step 4:  hotglue around the edges an inch at a time, sticking it to the other fabric's center.
Step 5:  once your done throw it in a frame, and hang it up!

I also want to take this time to tell you that from now on another goal is to take pictures of the projects process. 

Thanks for reading and please let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Shannon O. said...

I love the moose head! very cute. Yesterday I bought two black picture frames and Im going to put scrapbook paper in them and then im going to cut some design on white paper and put that on top. my bathroom need some art so i figured that would be easy enough. Too bad I can't draw though, that would probably help alot. :)

spiffy tiffy said...

Thank you! you could always just find a shape you like online, print it out, cut it, and just trace it. That would be too easy! :)